Warrior PvP, what am I missing?

22 replies to this topic

#1 Velcrii

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

So, I've been getting absolutely destroyed by some Warriors while playing my two main toons in PvP - a Rogue and Shadow Priest. So I got to thinkin... "hey, I like hitting people like a freight train too!" so I made a Warrior to mess around with. I created him, equipped all the gear, learned the skills, hit a couple Yeties to get 300 in skills, created the stance swap + attack macros that are on this forum and headed into WSG. This is how it went:

1. Charge
2. Hamstring
3. ...
4. ...
5. ...

3-5 are me waiting for Rage, unable to do anything other than auto-attack with a 3.8 speed sword. I am lost, I think I'm missing some vital attack or cooldown that instantly gives me 80 Rage that never goes away or something. Every Warrior I've ever fought has charged me and immediately laid down some ridiculous damage right out of the gate where as I can only manage to Charge and Hamstring someone before I'm just standing there like a toolbag, waiting for them to die of old age.

What am I missing? How are other people fighting me with enough Rage to spam every attack in their arsenal, while I can only manage two attacks?

#2 crotchrot

Forest Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

Charge can bug alot for me anyway, as you dont always end up at the opponent, more like 5-10yards from them so piercing howl might be better ;)

Also gear, wars scale ridiculously with gear its unreal.

#3 Eficus

Forest Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

Gear.

Better gear = more rage per swing.
Better gear = more white crits = more rage.

Warriors without gear are ridiculously boring and weak. Warriors with gear are ridiculously strong and fun (to play with, not against).
For instance; on my Mage, 99% of the Warriors playing can't even begin to harm me. But I met Ektelion in AV a few days ago, and if I even make one tiny mistake (which I do a lot nowadays) or if my reactions are only a little slow, I can kiss my ass goodbye.

Personally I've sadly given up on playing Warriors on feenix though (atleast 1.12), I've played the class since 2005, but something just doesn't sit right when I play it here and I can't put my finger on it.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Emerald Dream:
Thrashing, lvl 60 Tauren Warrior
Trust, lvl 60 Troll Shaman
No, lvl 60 Undead Mage

#4 buczech

Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

But with some pieces of d2,av rep items some things from vote shop or something from ah which doesn't take so long time to obtain warrior is payable and itis possible to beat other warrior with aq40/bwl gear but it depend on your luck

#5 Snelf

Rank 14

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

View PostEficus, on 30 April 2012 - 06:07 PM, said:

[...]but something just doesn't sit right when I play it here and I can't put my finger on it.
If you don't like pve-ing here it's because of bosses with too much armor. Really brakes the rage generation mechanics.
If you refer to pvp-ing, something has to do with the bugged charge/intercept under textures and the fact that you stop it at 5 yards away from your target. +the next melee hit swings are also broken so you can't properly nuke.

Just my impressions. I might be wrong.

-=Tonk=-

#6 Slifty

Lieutenant Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:59 AM

No Gear, No Fun.

Can say that out of Experience ;)

Grand Marshal Slifty - Rank 14 Night Elf Warrior. Ex- Officer of <Intoxication> (Disbanded), Proud Core Member of <Infinitum> and Godslayer.

"Haters Gonna Hate, dont Blame me for my name :3"

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Kiroil

Legionnaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:08 AM

start with an arcanite reaper... Axe spec helps getting decent crit with shity gear and crits = rage
Kiroildem Warrior prot/arms pvp video

youtube.com/watch?v=w9V6C6oKYyI

#8 Drakon

Rank 14

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

Keep in mind that the warrior class (esp. at lower gear levels) is partly reactive.
So make sure to get some HP and learn how sit down before lesser attacks (e.g. pets) to trigger Enrage.
It's also handy in world PvP to aggro some mob and using it as an Enrage battery / CC breaker.

You may also want to try a 2H PvP fury spec. It offers an additional rage-on-demand button as well as more Intercepts.
Don't expect to kill anything with a healer in its back, though.

Regarding this "odd-feeling"-thing:
To me player movement on Feenix seems strange. Also people stuck in sprint animation causing them to "blink" around.
I don't know when this is a latency issue (since I got ~20-40ms, maybe the opponent?) or a general trait of the emulation.

#9 The_Wind

Stone Guard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

View PostDrakon, on 02 May 2012 - 04:33 PM, said:

Keep in mind that the warrior class (esp. at lower gear levels) is partly reactive.
So make sure to get some HP and learn how sit down before lesser attacks (e.g. pets) to trigger Enrage.
It's also handy in world PvP to aggro some mob and using it as an Enrage battery / CC breaker.

You may also want to try a 2H PvP fury spec. It offers an additional rage-on-demand button as well as more Intercepts.

To me player movement on Feenix seems strange. Also people stuck in sprint animation causing them to "blink" around.
I don't know when this is a latency issue (since I got ~20-40ms, maybe the opponent?) or a general trait of the emulation.

dont even talk about that :S
I've seen so many times, movement glitchs....

#10 TyberZann67

Private

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:05 AM

Sounds like a gnomish dimension ripper. I mean it couldn't possibly be feenix right? :)
THE BANHAMMER
Item Level 500

One-hand Mace Speed 0.10
10101 - 13372 Damage
+10001 - 13337 Shadow Damage
(234,055.0 damage per second)
13337 Armor
+1337 Strength
+1337 Intellect
+1337 Stamina
+1337 Spirit
+101 RESISTANCE DOES NOT EXIST

+101 Fire Resistance
+101 Nature Resistance
+101 Frost Resistance
+101 Shadow Resistance
+101 Arcane Resistance
Durability 1337 / 1337
Classes:
SHAMAN
Requires Level 60

Equip: Chance on hit to launch shocks of random schools to all targets within 30yds
Use: Stuns nearby targets, rendering them unable to move or attack for 4sec
Equip: Assumes a holyform, increasing healing done by 25% and reducing melee damage taken by 20%
"And STOP!... BANHAMMER TIME!"

#11 Ektelion

General

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

View PostThe_Wind, on 02 May 2012 - 06:07 PM, said:

dont even talk about that :S
I've seen so many times, movement glitchs....

this is very annoying bug indeed, ruins alot of fun but it's not like we can do something about it i think.

this is because of mangos i think, just like randomly seing people on flight riders popping in front of you? sounds familiar i know :)
Watch your thoughts, they become words.
Watch your words, they become actions.
Watch your actions, they become habits.
Watch your habits, they become character.
Watch your character, because it becomes your destiny.

Who knows where a step will take you!
Johnnie Walker,Keep Walking!

#12 Shootah

Private

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:55 PM

craft Stronghold Gauntlets+Lionhearts Helm (I can craft /W Hustle), get Arcanite Reaper, get D2 via votepoints, HoJ votepoints, get Abyssal Legplates of Smiting, Darkmoon Neck, ZG Bracers/Belt (like 3 runs)--------> get AV exalted, farm honor for ranks... should take you maybe 1 month to get decent gear.

and if you are into professions -> engineering

#13 kr400

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:27 AM

also farm rage pots.

#14 Crackadia

Rank 14

• Members
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

Free action potions > Mighty rage potions > Swiftness potions.

#15 Rocketeer Raccoon

Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:38 AM

Two-Handed Fury Spec? How's that work? Normally Fury is about duel wielding combat and Arms spec is what you use for Two-Handed. Be even stranger if you went duel wielding as Arms spec. ^_^
If you really want something, then go for it.

#16 SkuliSkumm49

Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

View PostRocketeer Raccoon, on 07 August 2012 - 11:38 AM, said:

Two-Handed Fury Spec? How's that work? Normally Fury is about duel wielding combat and Arms spec is what you use for Two-Handed. Be even stranger if you went duel wielding as Arms spec. ^_^

2h fury is about utilizing flurry to increase your rage gain to allow you to do more dmg to a target quickly. BUT it is crit/hit dependent. Stacking AP is good for huge BT crits. But this spec is only good if you are hit capped for pvp and have over 25% crit. This spec is NOT RECCOMENDED For beginning pvp only spec it if your bored and want to try something new.

#17 Drakon

Rank 14

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:42 AM

Well, I explicitly recommend 2H fury for entry level PvP or fresh lvl60s in general.

Once you hit 60 you usually want to do the following things:
  • Grind AV rep to exalted
  • Farm AD rep/twilight texts, solo quest/do D2 quest chain
  • 5mans and UBRS
  • Maybe OT or DPS in ZG/MC
  • Engaging in World PvP while traveling

You can do all this perfectly with 2H fury spec.
All 2H Fury talents equally benefit 1H+Shield gameplay (no wasted points for Dual Wield Spec).
Piercing Howl is awesome for tanking trash packs in 5mans and UBRS. Also fury tank is a lot of fun.
Back in the day™ on Feenix, when UBRS rogues weren't implemented, I solo tanked the whole instance including Rend as 2H Fury spec with BoE tank items (to be fair: one healer was totally awesome).
I also remember soloing a full Horde Scholo group (using AV spear and some BoE/dungeon items). I wanna see a fresh Protection Warrior do that.

Offtanking in ZG works fine too. You can perfectly switch between 1H+Shield/2H and switch tank/DPS roles on single packs depending on how many mobs are left/how stressed your MT is. You don't lose a lot of DPS due to the lack of +hit in tank gear compared to DW Fury (also works the other way around: you got way better OT stats in 2H Fury gear than in DW Fury gear).
Again Piercing Howl is great for trash (in ZG) and you actually get the rage to use it a lot compared to Arms.

Imp. Berserker Rage is an invaluable rage-on-demand button which allows you to do more stuff in both PvE and PvP.
Imp. Intercept offers great mobility and a lot of group utility (let's say in AV: stun enemies/mobs/runners/players attacking your healers, fear bomb + escape, etc.)

Flurry and Imp. Execute make the whole killing process way smoother:
As an entry lvl Arms warrior you rarely generate enough rage for a Hamsting-MS-WW chain let alone Execute after that.
With 2H Fury you Hamsting-WW and in the process you get 1-2 white hits (2 very likely if Hamsting or WW crit) which should place most targets in Execute range (for which you actually got rage, also it hits a bit harder).

Best of all: You can do all the above with one spec.
No wasted money on respecs. No dependency on specific weapon types.
I started with Serathil/AV polearm, progressed to Lobotomizer/TUF after hitting AV exalted and then Bloodlord's Defender/Zin'rokh after tanking a couple of ZGs which is a perfect combo to start Sword spec PvP.

I have done the AV/D2 set grind on 3 warriors as 2H Fury on Feenix.
I regularly own people while farming with my 2H Fury Tauren/Orc warriors and don't see a single reason to change anything for future warrior alts. ^_^

#18 Cardio

Stone Guard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:23 PM

Nice post, Drakon. Could you link us the exact talents you were using? I might give 2h fury a try myself.
Haters gonna hate, tomatoes gonna tomate.

#19 Drakon

Rank 14

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:34 PM

http://www.wowprovider.com/?talent=11226005_1_802305021302i5050131025012251r

With the usual degrees of freedom with points currently in UW/Blood Craze/Imp. BS and in Deflection.
Once AM gets fixed, you may want to get rid of it too. ^_^

HoJ is a must for 2H Fury in PvP imo. Due to the lack of sword spec...

#20 Cardio

Stone Guard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:08 PM

Pretty much the spec I was going with, except I'd drop Anger Management and Blood Craze for 5/5 Imp. Battle Shout.
Haters gonna hate, tomatoes gonna tomate.