• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 stege

stege

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:43 PM

Greetings fellow players and GMs/Staff. Leaving aside the fact that most of us can't play due to the recent attacks and all that, I was actually wondering if anything rather that having a bigger broadband can be done about this.
Mainly, what I'm referring to is a counter ddos attack that could stop those scriptkiddies in their tracks. Since I don't know shit about programming or I would do this myself, maybe one of you guys that knows how it's done could contact the GMs and with their help, track the bastards and shut them down.
I'm well aware that this is illegal, as someone on a post has previously said, though, my logic fails to understand why that would stop anyone. The server in itself is illegal and there is actually nothing they could do about it if they would be attacked.
Let's check their options here:
1. They're going to call the police and then what? "You know, officer, we were hacking this private WoW server that we were playing on because we got banned (or w/e) and they hacked us back. Could you please arrest them?"
2. They're going to lie to the police and the police could investigate the matter. And, after that? The police is going to take the earliest plane to w/e country the server is on so they can arrest the staff? Come the **** on...
3. Judging by their experience, they're just gonna sit there and eat it. And then we can all go back to our usual playing/farming/bg-ing, w/e.
Which of the options is most likely, I ask of thee? Well, of course, number 3.
Please bear in mind that this is not a rant, just a suggestion. I can and will do other things in the meanwhile and the GMs have my 140% (go Putin) support regardless of their choice. So, GO FEENIX and I await any answers to the post.

PS: tl;dr...I know, I know

#2 craba

craba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

Admins managed to find the source but it's confidential, as far as i know, the fixing progress will take days.

Anyway, The "retrieving character list" is now working better and entering world as well.

Whoever done this shall be punished for life.

Regards.

#3 rerer

rerer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:00 PM

We counterhack them, and then what? You just bring more fuel to the fire and the attacks will never stop.

#4 Harryprice

Harryprice

Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:00 PM

Im still getting stuck on either process for several minutes

#5 stege

stege

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:05 PM

We counterhack them, and then what? You just bring more fuel to the fire and the attacks will never stop.

Counterhack and when their pc's start frying, they'll chill the Hell out. WoW on one side but let's see if they like living without internet.

#6 Feenixes

Feenixes

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:10 PM

In short, no
There is not a single though or reason that would justify any kind of attack, self initiated or as counter. Neither would it solve anything on long terms

#7 stege

stege

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:16 PM

In short, no
There is not a single though or reason that would justify any kind of attack, self initiated or as counter. Neither would it solve anything on long terms

Fighting fire with fire is sometimes the most effective way to win a battle. Regardless, I leave this at your whim, as I said, it was just a suggestion, if the Admins think it's better not to do this, I trust your judgement is better than mine.
Good luck and I'm anxiously waiting the server's comeback :)

#8 Sulfuras

Sulfuras

Rank 14

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:17 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

"He did not break the rules, He just ignore them"

- my ex-girlfriend

#9 thedocoz123

thedocoz123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:25 PM

Why exactly feenix? Could it be some other private server team trying to hack feenix
so the vannila gamers would be forced to go to there server?

#10 Feenixes

Feenixes

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:28 PM

Fighting fire with fire is sometimes the most effective way to win a battle. Regardless, I leave this at your whim, as I said, it was just a suggestion, if the Admins think it's better not to do this, I trust your judgement is better than mine.
Good luck and I'm anxiously waiting the server's comeback :)

You are right, indeed. It would even not be hard, perhaps. But where would that lead us? As the "bad guys" probably for lashing out to a helpless fly. Leading to an everlasting attack and counter attack situation. So we choose to keep our dignity and moral upperhand

And, it is and remains internet, where your enemy can appear and re-appear in very different shapes, identities and most of all, IP's. Therefore we prefer more delicate approaches

In the end, an most important, gossips and rumors will always be there, we choose not to listen to these but look at facts, you and all other members should do the same.

#11 craba

craba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:30 PM

I have found some improvements on my computer but i don't know if the other ppl got it too.

#12 Pwnarcher

Pwnarcher

Private

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:15 PM

Short n Simple...not a damn thing you can do to prevent ddos attacks...otherwise Anonymous wouldn't be able to take down White House, DOJ, and FBI websites like they so often enjoy doing not to mention its damn hard to track down the origin of the attack.

#13 ezhlol

ezhlol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:51 PM

Btw server is crashing, then someone makes ads on world channel... Not difficult to know who did it.

#14 Alorain

Alorain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

In short, no

You don't have order an attack. You could just post a little bit of info (IPs) on the attackers and we could all think really, really bad things about them.

If something more were to happen to them, it would just be a coincidence.

#15 scumlord

scumlord

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:01 PM

It seems many of TBC servers are getting DDoSed, not just Feenix.

#16 Vulcan

Vulcan

Warlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

It is ze blizzard aye , not
ACTIVE
Vulcanix | [60] Restoration Druid | Emerald Dream 1.12.1 [Horde]
Vulcanix | [60] Elemental Shaman | Al'Akir 1.12.1 [Horde]
Psylogic | [60] Arcane/Frost Mage | Warsong 1.12.1 [Alliance]
Vulcenix | [70] Beastmaster Hunter | Archangel 2.4.3 [Horde]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ddos, hack, server, disconnect