Arms warrior in pve?

92 posts in this topic

I got a situation where 2 of my friends both roll cloth dps so I either roll warrior dps or holy priest and I want to know is arms warrior any good :)

I got a situation where 2 of my friends both roll cloth dps so I either roll warrior dps or holy priest and I want to know is arms warrior any good :)

Yea why not ;)

Ofc I would suggest fury if you want a better dps (in my opinion) but arms will do too!

You cant be wrong with a warrior as any specs anyway! ;)

I think the best pve race would be orc. Orc have axe specialization which increases expertise (reduces the chance your melee hits willl be dodged or parried.) and also the 5% crit you get from axe spec. You will also get 15% stun resist and blood fury :)

I think the best pve race would be orc. Orc have axe specialization which increases expertise (reduces the chance your melee hits willl be dodged or parried.) and also the 5% crit you get from axe spec. You will also get 15% stun resist and blood fury :)

Arms is a decent PvE spec, but Fury will do more damage than Arms in PvE. Arms is really a PvP spec, however there is a place for an Arms warrior in raids. In fact, most guilds want at least 1 Arms warrior per raid once you get to later dungeons. This is because many bosses have a heal which is reduced by the Mortal Strike debuff. Even further a decent Arms warrior should be able to keep up both Mortal Strike AND Thunderclap 100% of the time when called upon to do-so.

For PvE DPS, Swords will yield the highest damage. Chance to strike twice is too powerful to give up, even if it means bypassing the Orc +weapon skill. In fact, this makes Human the best choice for a Warrior DPS due to the Human's racial which grants +expertise with Swords.

Fury will win vs Arms in PvE, +% attack speed is very powerful. However, a properly geared and played Arms Warrior isn't terrible. Just learn how to throw your slams properly.

I think the best pve race would be orc. Orc have axe specialization which increases expertise (reduces the chance your melee hits willl be dodged or parried)

Just one thing, there is no expertise in vanilla :) It's only +weapon skill, which needed to avoid Glancing Blows on bosses ;)

Just one thing, there is no expertise in vanilla :) It's only +weapon skill, which needed to avoid Glancing Blows on bosses ;)

This thread is in the 2.4.3 section of the forums. This discussion is on version 2.4.3. +weapon skill racials don't apply.

Arms is a decent PvE spec, but Fury will do more damage than Arms in PvE. Arms is really a PvP spec, however there is a place for an Arms warrior in raids. In fact, most guilds want at least 1 Arms warrior per raid once you get to later dungeons. This is because many bosses have a heal which is reduced by the Mortal Strike debuff. Even further a decent Arms warrior should be able to keep up both Mortal Strike AND Thunderclap 100% of the time when called upon to do-so.

For PvE DPS, Swords will yield the highest damage. Chance to strike twice is too powerful to give up, even if it means bypassing the Orc +weapon skill. In fact, this makes Human the best choice for a Warrior DPS due to the Human's racial which grants +expertise with Swords.

Fury will win vs Arms in PvE, +% attack speed is very powerful. However, a properly geared and played Arms Warrior isn't terrible. Just learn how to throw your slams properly.

Oh, and don't forget that Blood Frenzy. 4% extra physical damage from the whole raid :)

Wouldnt skipping bringing an arms warrior be like tbc raiding without a shadowpriest? I'd say so. Maybe not entirely true, but still. Very viable.

http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=58960

I want to know is arms warrior any good :)

Arms is low on dps, but they provide a whopping 4% extra damage to all melee dps and hunters, so having 1 arms warrior in a 25man raid is useful. For 10man raids I wouldn't take an arms warrior, and I would never take more than 1 for 25man raids.

Oh and ofcourse Mortal Strike can be nice aswell on fights with healing, but that is very situational.

1 person likes this

Having the 5% crit chance is nice due to the Deep Wounds + Impale talent.

That's why imo orc + axe is the best combo.

Having the 5% crit chance is nice due to the Deep Wounds + Impale talent.

That's why imo orc + axe is the best combo.

Removing/Reducing glancing blows is much more important than crit.

It did work. If you went the slam build( shorter slam) and timed it with auto hits you could do some serious dps(also buffing the raid with 4%). I know there was a movie released in tbc with a troll warrior showing "how to time" video, not sure whats it called. Anyone might know which one i mean.

Slam resets your swing timer, so to time it correctly you get quartz, turn on the wing timer and use slam right as the timer reaches the end and starts again, this will make you lose the least amount of time on your next auto-attack. Arms with proper gear can be very good dps. i used to dabble as arms dps when i was'nt tanking in TBC and would always do decent. always in the top third of dps'ers in my guild. but then again i had very good gear, all t6 level for my DPS set.

I remember back at TBC our guild (a SWP guild) had no more than 1 arms dps in a raid. But no less than 1. Arms, retri pala and enh shammy were in the raid mostly for the buff/debuffs/additional support they provided. Not for the dps. Atleast the dps from these three classes wasn't the biggest factor when downing a raid boss.

That's right, they changed both of the racials in TBC. My apologies.

Still, swords > axes for PvE. Chance to hit twice is far superior to crit. Also there is less competition for two-handed swords (Shamans can't use Swords) than any other two-handed weapon.

If you are truly determined to make a PvE Arms warrior, two-handed swords really is the way to go, regardless of race. But I will submit that axes on an Orc isn't terrible.

MS- not PvE debuff, hunter's can use AS when fight VS boss with healing spells or Rogue's Wound Poison, +4% dmg is not so hard, fury warr can solo add more then +4% melee DPS.

Arms warr can be in PvE only on lots of trash/adds, while using SW + WW.

So, forgot about Arms in PvE. Thats not WotLK

MS- not PvE debuff, hunter's can use AS when fight VS boss with healing spells or Rogue's Wound Poison, +4% dmg is not so hard, fury warr can solo add more then +4% melee DPS.

Arms does just as competitive dps as fury in tbc, only if played right and using a very specific spec. And the fact that arms brings the 4% physical damage debuff means that if you're skilled as arms dps, you will always be guaranteed a dps spot in a 25 man raid.

Here's the build (sword version):

http://wow243.gamestool.net/warriort.php?320050113520105002210000505000500521203000000000000000000000000000

For this build, you use Slam as your primary ability with the quartz addon's swing timer. Mortal Strike is used as a rage dump ability with this build, as it doesn't do nearly as good of damage-per-rage as Slam.

You are terrible wrong.

http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=58960

This is DPS? ROFL do you seen DPS of fury warr or rogue or warlock?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3LC1rCp9hE

Fury contribution to a raid group is indisputably inferior to slam spec. And if the encounter is optimal for the use of this spec, then it's hands down 20%-30% more DPS efficient than fury can be.

Fury is the best pve dps for warriors in patch 2.4.3. Regarding the arms spec.... You need to be hit capped to even be considering this spec.

Hitcap is really easy to achieve as arms, hence the huge advantage over fury. And PVE MS has superior dps to fury on private servers , especially in endgame gear

Arms has superior dps to Fury regardless of gear or whether it's a private server. It's simple, Arms increases nearly half the raid's damage by 4%. Sure, it might do a small bit less dps than Fury if you're just looking at the Warrior's dps alone, but that's only if the Arms warrior isn't skilled or is having latency issues.

It's just simple math, nothing to be scared of.

kk, wanna math?

we have 10x phys DPSers with 2k DPS its 20k DPS yes?

4%=+800 DPS

Whats Arms war DPS? 1200 max in same lvl gear as Fury can do 2k.

So we can see, Arms can be same as Fury if we have 20k phys ONLY dps.

But! You may be in top guild to get 20k phys DPS and even if you have this DPS, somebody can die -DPS.

All calculations made on pre-BT BiS gear, they are some rough but thats enough.

P.S. BC top DPSers-spell classes, especially warlocks.