Mage BiS pre-raid gear

34 replies to this topic

#1 Yin

Field Marshal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:54 PM

So since i see alot of people have been helping the community by posting pre raid gear for different classes i thought its about time someone made one for mages. This "guide" will inclusde the best in slot pieces gained from dungeons / quests. There is alot of good pvp pieces for mages but i decided not to include them.
Disclaimer: This is the current bis pre-raid gear for a frost specced mage willing to start raiding, and currently spellhit is bugged so i decided not to include any items that are only good for its +hit.

Head:
Spellweaver's Turban (http://database.wow-one.com/?item=22267)
Drops from General Drakkisath in UBRS

Neck:
Orb of the Darkmoon (http://database.wow-one.com/?item=19426)
Gained from delivering 1200 Prize Tickets at the Darkmoon Faire

Shoulders:
Boreal Mantle (Will be added when database is back up)
Drops from Warder Stilgiss in The Vault in BRD.

Cloak:
Random green lvl 55+ cloak of Frozen Wrath (20-21 frost spell dmg)
Can be found on lvl 60+ mobs or the Auction House

If you are not lucky enough to find one of these you can always farm
Amplifying Cloak (http://database.wow-one.com/?item=18350)
Drops from Magister Kalendris in Dire Maul West

Chest:
Robe of the Archmage (http://database.wow-one.com/?item=14152)
Crafted from a pattern (http://database.wow-one.com/?item=14513) that drops in LBRS, but can also be found on the Auction House. The robe is Bind on Pickup so you have to craft it yourself.

If you are not a tailor the second best option is
Freezing Lich Robes (http://database.wow-one.com/?item=14340)
Drops from Ras Frostwhisper on Scholomance

Bracers:
Rockfury Bracers (Will be added when database is back up)
Gained from delivering badges to the Cenarion Circle in Silithus.

or if you are lazy
Sublime Wristguards (http://database.wow-one.com/?item=18497)
Drops from Guard Slip'kik and Guard Mol'dar in Dire Maul North

Gloves:
Sorcerer's Gloves (http://database.wow-one.com/?item=22066)
Gained from upgrading Magister's Gloves (http://database.wow-one.com/?item=16684) in the Dungeon set 2 quest chain (http://database.wow-one.com/?quest=8932).

Belt:
Ban'thok Sash (http://database.wow-one.com/?item=11662)
Drops from Ok'thor the Breaker in the BRD Arena, or Ring of Law as its called.

Legs:
Bloodvine Leggings (http://database.wow-one.com/?item=19683)
Can be crafted by a tailor who is Honored or better with the Zandalar Tribe

Boots:
Omnicast Boots (http://database.wow-one.com/?item=11822)
Drops from Golem Lord Argelmach in BRD

Rings:
Freezing Band x 2(http://database.wow-one.com/?item=942)
World drop of mobs over lvl 44, can also be found on the Auction House.

If you are not lucky enough to find 2 of these you can get these:
Songston of Ironforge (http://database.wow-one.com/?item=12543)
Gained from completing the "The Princess's Surprise (http://database.wow-one.com/?quest=4363) in Ironforge. // Alliance only

Maiden's Circle (Will be added when database is back up)
World drop from mobs over lvl 55, but can also be found on the Auction House.

Don Merucio's Band (Will be added when database is back up)
Drops from Darkmaster Gandling in Scholomance.

Trinkets:
Talisman of Ascendance (Will be added when database is back up)
Gained from delivering tokens to the Argent Dawn in Eastern Plaguelands.

Briarwood Reed (Will be added when database is back up)
Drops from Jed Runewatcher in UBRS

Weapons:
Lord Valthalak's Staff of Command (Will be added when database is back up)
Drops from Lord Valthalak in UBRS.

or these if you preffer 1h + oh
Sageblade (Will be added when database is back up)
Crafted by a Swordsmith.

Tome of the Lost (Will be added when database is back up)
Drops from General Drakkisath in UBRS.

Wand:
Bonescreeper Stylus (Will be added when database is back up)
Drops of Darkmaster Gandling in Scholomance.

Alot of these items will be exchanged once spell hit is fixed, currently it does not matter how much +hit gear you got, you will still get the same amount of resists.

Hope you find this guide helpful

Yin - 60 Human Rogue - Emerald Dream (Active)

Hopp - 70 Human Rogue - Archangel (Retired)

Fizzy - 70 Draenei Shaman - Archangel (Retired)

Milkcow - 60 Tauren Warrior - Warsong (Retired)

Anotherguy - 60 Human Mage - Warsong (Retired)

#2 Aquanox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:24 PM

Is there any proof +hit does not work? I seem to see a lot of people using +hit gear. If it didn't work why are people using it?

#3 Sulfuras

Rank 14

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:58 PM

lol +spell hit is working :-)

Our mages tested its and thats works as intended.

Don't forgot: even if you got +100% spell hit there will be ALWAYS 1% to resist your spell.

Posted Image

"He did not break the rules, He just ignore them"

- my ex-girlfriend

#4 Brainworm

Centurion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:41 AM

View PostSulfuras, on 30 June 2011 - 08:58 PM, said:

Don't forgot: even if you got +100% spell hit there will be ALWAYS 1% to resist your spell.

same!

i did not try every step from 1% to 16%, but i remember times in mc when i was with <10% hit and now with 15% and the difference in not resisting is quite a lot
Brainworm LvL 60 Mage, Officer of <Viribus Unitis> 1.12
Brainworm LvL 70 Priest, Member of <ExDemons> 2.4.3

#5 Yin

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:00 AM

View PostSulfuras, on 30 June 2011 - 08:58 PM, said:

I have to say that we got a mage in our guild with 12% hit from gear and 6% from talents and he is landing on steady 18% hit, i on the other hand have 1% hit from gear 6% from talents and land about 100-150 dps above him every fight. We have the same specc, only difference is that i have spell dmg oriented gear and he have spell hit oriented gear.

But im sure Sulfuras amazing mages that think frost is the best dps specc for AQ40 must be correct.

#6 Legron

Forest Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:40 AM

http://forum.wow-one.com/index.php?/topic/3988-mage-pre-raid-bis/

THIS

#7 LOLWTF

Rank 14

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:14 AM

View PostPurifier, on 01 July 2011 - 09:40 AM, said:

+1

[h] iolwtf 60 mage - <Kaamos> - warsong

[a] iolwtfs 60 warlock - <Yoshi> - warsong

Watch my hunter movie here

Watch my mage movie here

#8 Yin

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:20 AM

View PostLOLWTF, on 01 July 2011 - 11:14 AM, said:

+1
id put this gear up against the gear in my post in a dps race any day. As i already mentioned something is bugged with spellhit which makes everyone get the same amount of spells resisted so pieces like bloodvine and dianas necklace is not as good as they should be.

#9 Sulfuras

Rank 14

• Members
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:24 AM

View PostAnotherguy, on 01 July 2011 - 09:00 AM, said:

I have to say that we got a mage in our guild with 12% hit from gear and 6% from talents and he is landing on steady 18% hit, i on the other hand have 1% hit from gear 6% from talents and land about 100-150 dps above him every fight. We have the same specc, only difference is that i have spell dmg oriented gear and he have spell hit oriented gear.

But im sure Sulfuras amazing mages that think frost is the best dps specc for AQ40 must be correct.
That mage, probably, using wrong rotation or talents or gear, thats why he's above other mages.

About frost: yes, frost have some lower DPS, but there is no so much aggro as fire, manacost, you'r DPS not so highly depends on crits as fire + you can have Arcane Power, making you ready to burst even better than fire.

P.S. look at 4 place , 820 DPS frost mage, ye 4k crits is nice and near 35-40% to crit (with Winterchill)

Posted Image

Posted Image

- my ex-girlfriend

#10 Meldo

Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:53 AM

threat is a non issue considering mages cause 0 aggro with 3 piece netherwind

#11 Yin

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:12 PM

View PostSulfuras, on 01 July 2011 - 11:24 AM, said:

That mage, probably, using wrong rotation or talents or gear, thats why he's above other mages.

About frost: yes, frost have some lower DPS, but there is no so much aggro as fire, manacost, you'r DPS not so highly depends on crits as fire + you can have Arcane Power, making you ready to burst even better than fire.

P.S. look at 4 place , 820 DPS frost mage, ye 4k crits is nice and near 35-40% to crit (with Winterchill)

Posted Image
man you are not even worth discussing with since you have no clue... ofc a frost mage will have nice crits with arcane power and trinkets, but they dont last an entire fight. The threat is no issue since there is just as much threat reduction (30%) in fire as there is in frost.... sometimes you even only have 20% in frost if you go 31/0/20 specc and rather have the extra range with Arctic Reach. The mana is no problem since any decent mage will be carrying around mana gems, major mana potions and maybe even dark runes.

As fire my fireballs HIT for little over 2k without arcane power or trinket, a crit is up to around 3,6 or 3,7k with trinket and after that i get about 800dmg ticks from ignite, that stacks up, my highest roll on an ignite was 3,3k. Ive never pulled aggro on a boss and last time we were in aq40 i landed safe around 950 dps vs sartura. 460 spelldmg, 8% crit and 3% hit from gear. Talent specc 17/31/3.

Now can we leave the fire vs frost discussion and keep focus on the topic at hand, mage bis gear...

View PostPurifier, on 01 July 2011 - 09:40 AM, said:

This gear build is pretty much the BiS if spellhit was working correctly, which im still pretty sure it isnt.

Just to clarify - Im not forcing any1 to use this gear before starting to raid and if people dont want to take my advice then just go with some other items. Just trying to help the community.

#12 Dorakrab

Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:40 PM

i have 500 dps in fire unbuffed, 15% spell hit with talents and don't remember how much spell crit. And i gotta say mages who doesn't have at least 12% hit always do way less damage. For example our full t2 mage with about 10% hit is always lower then mages with big amont of hit

#13 Yin

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:41 PM

View PostDorakrab, on 01 July 2011 - 05:40 PM, said:

i have 500 dps in fire unbuffed, 15% spell hit with talents and don't remember how much spell crit. And i gotta say mages who doesn't have at least 12% hit always do way less damage. For example our full t2 mage with about 10% hit is always lower then mages with big amont of hit
I have full t2, but im not using it due to the lack of crit. However we do have another mage in our guild with full t2 who is doing nice dps.

#14 Yin

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:32 PM

Ok so i just finished my testing on spellhit since i love this community so much and hate people spreading false information to the good people. The result is: Spellhit is still bugged, it does not matter how much +hit you have, you will have the same amount of resists anyway.

Target: Twilight Overlord (Lvl 61) // Silithus
Spell: Frostbolt (Rank 1), motivation: less damage so mobs does not die as fast as they would with rank 11. There is no difference in chanse to resist spells or anything like that between different ranks in spells.

Test stage 1 = 4% hit from gear, 6% hit from talents:
120 Frostbolts, 2 resists.
120 Frostbolts, 3 resists.
120 Frostbolts, 1 resists.

Test stage 2 = 0% hit from gear, 0% hit from talents:

Any questions? No...? Good!

You can test this yourself if you dont believe me, but im sure you will come to the same conclusion.

Other mages that have tested this and come to the same conclusion:
Dimov
Walktotheend
Yuber
Zel
Lolwtf

#15 Soge

Spartan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:44 AM

View PostAnotherguy, on 01 July 2011 - 06:32 PM, said:

Ok so i just finished my testing on spellhit since i love this community so much and hate people spreading false information to the good people. The result is: Spellhit is still bugged, it does not matter how much +hit you have, you will have the same amount of resists anyway.

Target: Twilight Overlord (Lvl 61) // Silithus
Spell: Frostbolt (Rank 1), motivation: less damage so mobs does not die as fast as they would with rank 11. There is no difference in chanse to resist spells or anything like that between different ranks in spells.

Test stage 1 = 4% hit from gear, 6% hit from talents:
120 Frostbolts, 3 resists.
120 Frostbolts, 1 resists.

Test stage 2 = 0% hit from gear, 0% hit from talents:

Any questions? No...? Good!

You can test this yourself if you dont believe me, but im sure you will come to the same conclusion.

No offense, but your test here isn't the best way to go about it, as a level 61 mob is nothing like a raid boss. Base hit for a raid boss is 83% compared to 95% for a level 61 mob. I have tested spell hit in conjunction with Recap (Sulfuras's damage meter), and with 10% hit from gear, I have shown 6% resists for Shadow Bolt on boss fights on a VERY consistent basis. Molten Core and BWL are where I have tested this. I have also definitely noticed the difference from when I had 5-6%.

Perhaps it is the talent for Mages that is the issue in your tests? Or it could be just for non elite/boss mobs.

Spell hit is definitely working for Warlocks.

DPS, however, is another matter. Capping spell hit is not necessarily the best plan if you can get more +damage. Despite 1% hit on Diana Pearl, Choker of the Fire Lord is MUCH better for DPS for a caster. The one resist extra per 100 casts will be overshadowed by the extra 30 spell damage you gain for every hit. Use the TheoryCraft addon to see exactly how much +dmg = 1%hit/crit. It works well to calculate your DPS, ignoring AP/PI/Trinket stuff of course. Rotation is also a consideration, as Sulfuras pointed out.

Cheers,
Soge
Soge, Gnome Warlock - Town Council of <Pleasuretown Adventures>

YouTube channel with a few Feenix kills:
http://www.youtube.c...er/TheSogekehei

#16 Yin

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:03 AM

this is not the best way to test it no, but i didnt have acces to any raidboss at that time so i took the thing i could find, and what i proved was that against a mob that needs +5% hit i had the same amount of reists with 10% hit and 0% hit.

And as i also stated there are other mages that have tested this during raids, and ive done tests before during raids aswell. I do not know how it is for warlocks but spellhit is definetly bugged for mages.

We are running aq40 on sunday and i can provide with a more theril test after that.

#17 Sulfuras

Rank 14

• Members
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:07 PM

@Anotherguy

Just find 1 tank, 1 heal and move to Blasted Lands - here is elite demons 63 lvl for all tests they are like a raid bosses.

Posted Image

- my ex-girlfriend

#18 Yin

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 06:45 PM

View PostSulfuras, on 02 July 2011 - 01:07 PM, said:

@Anotherguy

Just find 1 tank, 1 heal and move to Blasted Lands - here is elite demons 63 lvl for all tests they are like a raid bosses.
i rather not waste any more time on this when i can do it while raiding.

#19 Sulfuras

Rank 14

• Members
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:44 AM

View PostAnotherguy, on 02 July 2011 - 06:45 PM, said:

i rather not waste any more time on this when i can do it while raiding.

While raiding you'll attack different bosses with different amount of resistance = possible wrong test :-)

Posted Image

- my ex-girlfriend

#20 Yin

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:03 AM

View PostSulfuras, on 03 July 2011 - 12:44 AM, said:

While raiding you'll attack different bosses with different amount of resistance = possible wrong test :-)

which will prove even more that i will have pretty much the same resists on each boss.